This webinar will focus on COVID-19 in three parts:
The first part of the presentation will provide a general overview and discussion of COVID-19 and Pregnancy presented by Sarah Jane Smith, MPH, MA, including:
- The impact of COVID-19 on pregnancy outcomes
- The burden of COVID-19 and health disparities
- The science behind the safety of the COVID-19 Vaccine while Pregnant, Breast or Chest Feeding
- Reasons to vaccinate during pregnancy; including the benefits for pregnant persons and infants
- Pregnancy-related vaccine myths and frequently asked questions
The second part will provide a general overview of the collaborative project of Surveillance of Emerging Threats to Mothers and Babies (SET-NET) presented by Jaimee Maranon, MS, and Natasha Nyquist-Smith, MPH:
- The overview of the SET-NET project
- The sampling distribution in Nevada
- The trimester of COVID-19 diagnosis
- Current birthing trends of the sampled cases
- COVID-19 race and ethnicity distribution
- Overview of the vaccination status in our sample population
The final part will be a facilitated Question and Answer Period with attendees by Dr. Jackson.
Sarah Jane Smith, MPH, MA
Sarah Jane Smith is a Health Equity Project Manager with the CDC Foundation, supporting the Nevada State Immunization and Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health sections.
Jaimee Maranon, MS
Jaimee Maranon is one of the disease control specialists at the High Sierra Area Health Education Center. She has her Master's in Science in Nutrition and Health Performance from Logan University and a bachelor’s in Science in Biology and Nutrition from Nevada, Reno. She loves making an impact on her community by using gained knowledge in educating others.
Natasha Nyquist-Smith, MPH
Natasha received a BS in Community Health, and her MPH from the University of Nevada, Reno, has her CPH and CHW certifications. Natasha is a Disease Control Specialist with High Sierra AHEC in the Surveillance of Emerging Threats to Mothers and Babies (SET-NET) project
David N. Jackson, MD
Dr. David N. Jackson is a clinical MFM consultant for the High-Risk Pregnancy Center in Las Vegas. He has been an educator in academic medicine for 30 years and was recently the Program Director for the OB/GYN residency at UNLV School of Medicine. Additionally, Dr. Jackson was recently Ob-Gyn Chair at the University Medical Center in Las Vegas. One success was beginning a post-partum vaccine program.