FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Annual Fundraiser Brings Cervical Cancer Survivor and HPV Vaccine Advocate to Nevada
21st Annual Silver Syringe Awards Raises Funds for Immunize Nevada
(April , 15 2019)— The Silver Syringe Awards highlights one of public health’s greatest accomplishments – immunizations. Individuals and organizations who go above and beyond in preventative health efforts are honored at the two ceremonies for their life-saving work as healthcare champions throughout Nevada. Immunize Nevada and their partners toast these trailblazers and dedicates this exceptional night to them.
“Silver Syringe is a prestigious award and the only award that celebrates immunization champions in Nevada,” said Immunize Nevada Executive Director, Heidi Parker. “Both events give us the opportunity to recognize passionate individuals and organizations that are committed to making Nevada a healthier state.”
The northern Nevada awards are set for Thursday, April 25 at 6 p.m. at the Renaissance Reno. The ceremony kicks off with a keynote from cervical cancer survivor and advocate Tamika Felder. Felder will share her personal experience with cervical cancer and living life with purpose after surviving her cancer battle. Felder’s story of resilience begins when she first received her diagnosis at the age of 25. She underwent surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation and as a result, lost her uterus and cervix.
Felder now shares her story about her past experiences and advocates for cervical cancer awareness, including the HPV vaccine. Felder is currently the Chief Visionary at Cervivor, a nonprofit dedicated to cervical cancer advocacy and support.
In addition to Silver Syringe winners being recognized at the annual dinner event, a number of provider offices, hospitals, tribal health centers and post-acute care facilities from throughout Nevada will be recognized for meeting Healthy People 2020 goals of high immunization rates. A complete list of the awardees can be found at Healthy People 2020 Statewide Winners.
NORTHERN NEVADA WINNERS
• Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: UNR School of Medicine, Family Medicine
• Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: Southern Bands Health Center
• Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Carson Valley Medical Center Clinics
• Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: Hometown Health
• Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Karen Beckerbauer, MS, Douglas County NV Social Services
• Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Anna Carr, Pharm.D., Walmart Pharmacy
• Outstanding Media Partner: Denise Wong, Kolo 8 News Now
• Outstanding Community Partner: Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum
• Outstanding Corporate Partner: Meadowood Mall
• Outstanding Volunteer: Jared Tsuchiyama-Sando, UNR Student & Immunize Nevada Volunteer
• Outstanding Medical Assistant: Cheyenne Martin, CMA, Northeastern Nevada Pediatrics
• Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Tammy Crabtree, RN, Catholic Charities, Crossroads Program
• Outstanding Physician Champion: Jonathan Slothower, DO, Slothower Pediatrics, LLC
• Outstanding Immunization Champion: Sandy Wartgow, BSN, RN, Carson City Fire Department
Silver Syringe began in 1998 to celebrate Nevada’s immunization successes and champions. Today, the event has become a statewide tradition for Nevada’s immunization and healthcare partners. This year’s event is generously supported by: AVMS, Anthem, Boyd Gaming, Carson Medical Group, Carson Tahoe Health, Community Health Alliance, The Eyecare Center, Health Plan of Nevada, Hometown Health, Nevada Health Link, Nevada State Immunization Program, PhRMA, Renown Health, St. Mary’s Health Network, Silver Sage Center for Family Medicine, SilverSummit Healthplan, UnitedHealthcare, The Valley Health System, Washoe County Health District.
Immunize Nevada is widely recognized as Nevada’s trusted resource for immunizations and community health for all ages by fostering education and statewide collaboration. Immunize Nevada’s vision is healthy communities across Nevada protected from vaccine-preventable disease. For more information, visit ImmunizeNevada.org