It has already been a year since the 20th anniversary of the Silver Syringe Awards and now they’re back. Immunize Nevada will host the 21st Annual Silver Syringe awards in Reno and Las Vegas to coincide with National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), April 27 – May 4.
The Silver Syringe Award is presented to individuals and organizations for best practices, improvements, community involvement, and more. Healthy People 2020 Award winners are also recognized, an award based on the Immunization and Infectious Diseases Leading Health Indicators for high immunization rates.
The Silver Syringe Awards were created to shed light on one of public health’s greatest accomplishments – immunizations. Individuals and organizations who go above and beyond in preventative health efforts are honored at the two ceremonies for their life-saving work as healthcare champions throughout Nevada. Immunize Nevada and their partners toast these trailblazers and dedicates this exceptional night to them.
The northern Nevada awards, set for Thursday, April 25 at 6:30 p.m. at the Renaissance Reno Downtown Hotel, will include the keynote by Tamika Felder an award-winning women’s health advocate. Felder is the Chief Visionary at Cervivor – a nonprofit dedicated to cervical cancer advocacy. The southern Nevada awards will be on Thursday, May 2 at 6:30 p.m. at the SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino. The keynote will be delivered by Serese Marotta, Chief Operating Officer of Families Fighting Flu. Marotta joined Families Fighting Flu following the loss of her five-year-old son to the flu in 2009.
“The Silver Syringe is a prestigious award and the only award that celebrates immunization champions in Nevada,” said Immunize Nevada Executive Director, Heidi Parker. “Both events give us the opportunity to recognize passionate individuals and organizations that are committed to making Nevada a healthier state.”
NORTHERN NEVADA WINNERS
- Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: UNR School of Medicine, Family Medicine
- Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: Southern Bands Health Center
- Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Carson Valley Medical Center Clinics
- Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: Hometown Health
- Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Karen Beckerbauer, MS, Douglas County NV Social Services
- Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Anna Carr, Pharm.D., Walmart Pharmacy
- Outstanding Media Partner: Denise Wong, Kolo 8 News Now
- Outstanding Community Partner: Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum
- Outstanding Corporate Partner Meadowood Mall
- Outstanding Volunteer: Jared Tsuchiyama-Sando, UNR Student & Immunize Nevada Volunteer
- Outstanding Medical Assistant: Cheyenne Martin, CMA, Northeastern Nevada Pediatrics
- Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Tammy Crabtree, RN, Catholic Charities, Crossroads Program
- Outstanding Physician Champion: Jonathan Slothower, DO, Slothower Pediatrics, LLC
- Outstanding Immunization Champion: Sandy Wartgow, BSN, RN, Carson City Fire Department
SOUTHERN NEVADA WINNERS
- Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: FirstMed Health + Wellness Centers
- Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: Nevada Pediatric Specialists
- Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Luis Bobbys, Red Rock Medical Group
- Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: 99th Medical Group, Mike O’Callaghan Military Medical Center
- Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Pahrump CHN Program - Nevada Department of Public and Behavioral Health
- Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Melissa Shake, Pharm.D., Walgreens
- Outstanding Media Partner: Faiss Foley Warren Public Relations
- Outstanding Community Partner: Laura K. Culley MD, MPH, Associate Dean, Community Engagement UNLV School of Medicine
- Outstanding Corporate Partner: COX Communications
- Outstanding Volunteer: Crystal Oden, UNLV Student & Immunize Nevada Volunteer
- Outstanding Medical Assistant: Margaret Copas, NCMA, Wee Care Pediatrics
- Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Mee Kee Chong-Dao, RN, BSN, Southern Nevada Health District
- Outstanding Physician Champion: Terry Zagala, MD, L. Mead Pediatric Center
- Outstanding Immunization Champion: Dan Heller, Pharm.D., Smith's Food & Drug Company
Silver Syringe began in 1998 to celebrate Nevada’s immunization successes and champions. Today, the event has become a statewide tradition for Nevada’s immunization and healthcare partners. This year’s event is generously supported by: AVMS, Anthem, Boyd Gaming, Carson Medical Group, Carson Tahoe Health, Community Health Alliance, The Eyecare Center, Health Plan of Nevada, Hometown Health, Nevada Health Link, Nevada State Immunization Program, PhRMA, Renown Health, Saint Mary’s Health Network, Silver Sage Center for Family Medicine, SilverSummit Healthplan, Smith's, UnitedHealthcare, Valley Health System, Washoe County Health District.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.immunizenevada.org/silversyringe