FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Annual Event Recognizes Nevada Big Shots
19th Annual Silver Syringe Awards Set for April
(April 14, 20017)—Immunize Nevada is holding the 19th Annual Silver Syringe awards in both Reno and Las Vegas in conjunction with National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), April 22-29.
The Silver Syringe Awards is a night to celebrate one of healthcare’s greatest accomplishments – immunizations. It’s an evening to showcase the outstanding work and dedication of individuals and organizations who go above and beyond in immunization efforts across the state. This unique, one-of-a-kind awards ceremony honors the life-saving work of healthcare champions focusing on preventive health success.
Reno winners will be honored Thursday, April 20 at 6 p.m. at the Renaissance Reno Downtown Hotel while Las Vegas winners will celebrate Thursday, April 27 at 6 p.m. at the Las Vegas Country Club.
Liz Castillo, Practice Manger at Renown Health, will be the keynote speaker at the Reno event, and Kayla Knock, student at Pacific University, Oregon, will deliver the keynote at the Las Vegs event. Both Liz and Kayla are previous Immunize Nevada interns and are now heavily involved in the field of public health.
“Silver Syringe is a prestigious award and the only award that celebrates immunization champions in Nevada,” said Immunize Nevada Executive Director, Heidi Parker. “Both events give us the opportunity to recognize passionate individuals and organizations that are committed to making Nevada a healthier state.”
NORTHERN NEVADA WINNERS
• Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: Golden Health Family Medical Center
• Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: University of Nevada, Reno – Student Health Center
• Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Brianne Kelly, PA-C
• Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County (RTC)
• Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Nevada Health Centers
• Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Jenn Wheeler, Pharm D.
• Outstanding Media Partner: Estipona Group
• Outstanding Community Partner: Truckee Meadows Healthy Communities
• Outstanding Corporate Partner: Crowley & Ferrato Public Affairs
• Innovation In Immunization: Donald Burt
• Outstanding Volunteer: Gregory Burnett
• Outstanding Medical Assistant: Maria Fajayan
• Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Shasta M. French, RN
• Outstanding Physician Champion: Jocelyn De Guzman, MD
• Outstanding Immunization Champion: Brooke Pellegrino, CSSGB, MBA
SOUTHERN NEVADA WINNERS
• Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: Kim Gahagan
• Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: Clinica Medica del Pueblo
• Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Nevada Homeless Alliance / Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada
• Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: Lin Hong, Pharm D.
• Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Libbie Hamrick, RN
• Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Smith’s Food and Pharmacies of Southern Nevada
• Outstanding Media Partner: Nevada Broadcasters Association and Foundation
• Outstanding Community Partner: Jeanette Rosenberg, RN, MSN
• Outstanding Corporate Partner: The Valley Health System
• Innovation In Immunization: Christina A. Demopoulos, DDS, MPH
• Outstanding Volunteer: Jenny Prophete
• Outstanding Medical Assistant: Maira G. Gollas
• Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Lynda McCloskey, RN, BSN, MPA
• Outstanding Physician Champion: St. Rose Pediatrics
• Outstanding Immunization Champion: Mee Kee Chong-Dao, RN, BSN
In addition to Silver Syringe winners being recognized at the annual dinner event, a number of provider offices, hospitals, tribal health centers, and post-acute care facilities from throughout Nevada will be recognized for meeting Healthy People 2020 goals of high immunization rates. A complete list of the awardees can be found at Healthy People 2020 Statewide Winners.
Silver Syringe began in 1998 to celebrate Nevada’s immunization successes and champions. Today, the event has become a statewide tradition for Nevada’s immunization and healthcare partners. This year’s event is generously supported by: Renown Health, UnitedHealthcare, Nevada State Immunization Program, Saint Mary’s Health Network, Community Health Alliance, Silver Sage Center for Family Medicine, Walgreens, Carson-Tahoe Health, NVHCA Perry Foundation, Aetna Better Health of Nevada, HEALS, Steinberg Diagnostic Medical Imaging, Valley Health Systems, University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, and Smith’s Food & Drug Company.
Immunize Nevada is widely recognized as Nevada’s trusted resource for immunizations and community health for all ages by fostering education and statewide collaboration. Immunize Nevada’s vision is healthy communities across Nevada protected from vaccine-preventable disease. For more information, visit ImmunizeNevada.org