Nevada Vaccine Equity Collaborative
Everyone has an equal right to health, and all Nevadans should have a fair opportunity to receive their COVID-19 vaccination. To that end, the Nevada Vaccine Equity Collaborative (NVEC) has been established. As the COVID-19 vaccine rollout continues to move forward, it is increasingly critical to ensure there is equity in the process.
“Equity and fairness requires an intentional effort to reach every community and not create a situation where those who have been disproportionately impacted by this virus are left behind — including the elderly and our frontline workers.”Governor Sisolak, February 2021
WHAT IS THE NEVADA VACCINE EQUITY COLLABORATIVE?
The NVEC is a partnership comprised of diverse and interdisciplinary members of the public, as well as private, state, and community partners, co-led by Immunize Nevada and the Nevada Minority Health and Equity Coalition.
Members of the NVEC include state legislators, community members representing different ethnicities and demographics, healthcare providers, faith-based leaders, public and private representatives.
WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE NVEC?
To promote the equitable distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine in Nevada — which includes socially vulnerable populations such as those without vehicles, people with disabilities, older adults, and those with limited English proficiency, among others — through the following:
- Development of a comprehensive communication plan to meet the cultural and linguistic needs of communities highly impacted by COVID-19;
- Making optimal use of community partnerships, resources, and opportunities;
- Assessment of the latest data and providing the state and health districts with recommendations on how to equitably distribute the vaccine.
WHY IS EQUITABLE VACCINE DISTRIBUTION IMPORTANT?
- Maximize benefits and minimize harms
- Promote justice
- Mitigate health inequities
- Promote transparency
WHAT ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF NVEC EFFORTS?
The NVEC has established two working groups, with the following goals:
COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH WORKGROUP
• Identify priority areas for vaccine outreach and education
• Develop culturally and linguistically appropriate messaging to share within target communities
• Disseminate messaging through various platforms (print, social media, etc.)
EQUITABLE VACCINE DISTRIBUTION WORKGROUP
• Identify communities highly impacted by COVID-19 and communities with limited access to vaccination to guide strategic placement of vaccination sites
• Provide recommendations to ensure vaccination sites meet the linguistic and cultural needs of the community it is serving
• Develop an equitable distribution plan for vaccination sites to minimize vaccine waste
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED WITH THE NVEC?
Photo credit: Ivan Carrillo